Thursday, 6 January 2011
Garden Update - Surprise, Surprise!
And, unlike the soupmaking,
This doesn't seem to be just a pregnancy phase. I seem to have had quite a few 'crafty' phases!
Actually, I'm still into the sewing, just more into the crocheting right now...
...here is an update!
The green beans (aka climber or runner beans) are reaching for the sky!
Boy, are they moving!
I actually nailed some trellissy-type netting stuff to some planks and added it to the top of my old Mainfreight pallet frame, thinking they needed more room to grow.
Until I realised that they are classified as an indeterminate plant, which I think means that their growth will continue unchecked as long as conditions are favourable. I think!
My pumpkin plants are doing well.
Maybe a little too well...
I think I might have overdone it here.
If I disappear, it will be into this budding jungle.
Maybe we need to invest in a GPS.
Just in case!
Just so you know - the upside-down coke bottles are not for decoration.
The faucet part of my hose connection broke. I'm not sure how, ask The Jord if you really want to know.
But I now don't have a hosepipe!
I found keeping these bottles full of water was a more effective way of watering plants than wandering around the garden with buckets of water!
You can make individual cow plop tea in each of them - so you are directly feeding the roots.
And PLUS: I think NZ may be facing another late summer drought where we aren't allowed to use the hosepipe anyway... so, this way I'm not!
My cauliflower is growing beautifully, they just haven't formed heads yet.
Apparently they might not - I planted them at completely the wrong time of year!
I'm just hoping there aren't any horrible little caterpillar eggs hidden inside them waiting to hatch and destroy them as the little monsters eat their way out...
Oh! And in case you were wondering - the evil brew didn't work.
What did work was my grandmother's remedy - watering them with a soapy mixture of laundry detergent and water.
The caterpillars clearly did not like Persil as much as I do!
They were not happy until I planted upside down coke bottles next to them and watered them directly to their roots.
This is the hottest part of my garden...
It was the first place I put the upside-down bottles and the first place I mulched.
The heads are starting to look good but the outer leaves just... don't.
I just cut the outer leaves and the continues to supply me with lettuce leaves.
They are the upside-down tomato plants in old milk bottles.
And it's worked!
I'm so proud!
Apparently it's called blight and it happens when growing conditions are too wet.
It's been far too humid for these tomatoes!
I suppose my next challenge will be to see if I can keep the birds away from them!